Friday 22 May 2020

How To Create An Engineering Career Ladder That Works

At the beginning of my professional career, I never had a clear career path and didn't know what one would look like. I thought that if I executed my best work, I would be recognized. It worked to a certain level -- I got promotions a couple of times and moved to entirely new fields. But I didn't have enough direction when it came to my next level.

I didn't understand the importance of having a clear career ladder until I didn't know what my next path was. That importance became even more clear once I started managing my first team. Engineers in my group wanted to understand how I would measure their performance and how they could reach the next level in their career paths. I tried to outline their paths ahead to keep them on target, but at the time, my team was small, and things at our company changed quickly. Many of those team members ended up taking career paths that didn't fit them, and I was still figuring out how my team should be structured.

Our company has gone through many transformations over the past years, and we've outgrown our old approach to career progression. Now, we've cemented a structure that is both transparent and informative. computer science vs computer engineering salary.

Outlining Your Goals

To create a similar ladder, start by outlining your goals -- to help you and those who later read it understand why you are creating the ladder. I noted two main purposes for my ladder

No comments:

Post a Comment

Difficulties are seemingly more basic and pressing than the actual blackouts

 These difficulties are seemingly more basic and pressing than the actual blackouts. For some telecoms, enormous separates actually exist be...